Sunday, November 4, 2012

A big ol' bag of basmati rice.

 So,  in the weeks since my last post life has been in a holding pattern. The job interview that Chris had for the job in NYC went well. Very well. Stupid extra double plus(I'm also bringing NewSpeak back) well. He's had video meeting, long phone interviews, and phone calls with the CEO. So, the position is down to him and some other dude, who I'm sure is a nice guy. I just want other dude to not get this job. I think. Okay, honestly, I'm insanely proud of my husband for his general level of amazing-ness. The thing is, I'm intimidated by moving to that big of a city. Chris and I keep saying that we're just country bumpkins from Idaho. I think the fact that he's not from the city and not part of the corporate culture is a plus in his favor. When he spoke to the CEO once Chris mentioned his childhood of working with horses and moving cattle. Here, that's a whole bunch of nothing. Apparently, Mr. Big Guy In Charge thought that was really interesting. So, if novelty will carry him into this position, I will go out and get him one of those bolo ties(which I detest) and some cowboy boots.

  The problem with this potential new job is the fact that we've been told a decision would be made about 6 times now. Then someone, or someones on the board, couldn't decide. So, more questions would be posed to Chris. He would answer them like a boss, and then the wait. Repeat several times. Then the hurricane hit, and the time table got even more pushed back. So, it's not like I can be grumpy about that. The frustrating part is that we just can't plan ahead. We don't know if we'll even be living in the same state in a month. The worst part is I just can't make myself buy any food that would last beyond fruit and veggies. Example: we went grocery shopping to our local non-evil big box store(Costco) and there was a great buy on a decent size bag of basmati rice. We eat a lot of rice since I had to break up with wheat, and a semi-large bag would last the two of us for months. The problem is, since I would be parceling the rice into smaller amounts I really don't want to lug that across the country. I can't make myself pick up any new yarn or fabric from the craft store that is going out of business, buy a new book, or even get a season of a show because that would be one more thing I would have to pack up and move. And don't even get me started on what a nightmare it would be to move the kitties. Ares doesn't travel well. Period. Zeus would be better, but if he hears his brother being so sad, he'll start to cry too. Then I'll cry. Then Maggie laughed, she's such a trooper. Sorry, I've got a lot of random "Simpsons" quotes in my brain. Oh, and I always seem to see the horror stories of animals dying or being lost after flying with their people. So, I need that to obsess over.

So. With all that going on I'm just going to put up some cat cuteness.
 This is from last Halloween. Zeus is sitting next to the skull of Theobald the medically correct articulated skeleton that lives in our living room. It's a very long story how we ended up with him.
This is Ares sunning his bellymeats. I adore this picture.

2 comments:

  1. When I am in a similar holding pattern, I figure it is worth the investment for the simple fact that I just KNOW that if I buy that much rice (to use your example) I'll just have to move it across country - in which case it is a very good investment to ensure that it happens :) (and if it doesn't, then you have a lot of rice at a good deal)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good theory. We should know for sure, 100%, no foolin' by Monday. I hope. I'm also not holding my breath. So, I have picked up a few new books and more yarn. Oh, and since an initiative passed in our town to help fund the construction of a new animal shelter we've been thinking about introducing a new meow-child to our home.

      Delete